So, you are thinking about moving to Jersey City, and still, have some doubts about it? That is perfectly normal when someone is planning such a big move. What kind of life and experience are you expecting to find in Jersey City? Hopefully, within this text, we will provide you with pros and cons of moving to Jersey City. So, in the end, you will find it easier to decide.
Jersey City is not one of those dull and boring places you can live. It is vibrant and constantly “moving”. There are certain things that will surprise you, whether in a good or a bad way. It will give you another insight into how Jersey City functions.
Pros and cons of moving to Jersey City
Whether or not you are thinking about, or already planning to move to Jersey City, there are certain things you should think about. Relocating to Jersey City, especially if you come from across the country, can be exhausting and stressful. So if you think that is too much work and stress make sure you hire some quality and dedicated long distance movers NJ, just to be sure everything goes according to plan.
Before we begin, we should also mention that when it comes to Jersey City, there are also quite a lot of services the city provides. If you think that there is a lot of work regarding packing and solving all the problems regarding moving and storage, we recommend you check out what other services NJ movers can provide.
Now, without any other topics, let us talk about pros and cons of moving to Jersey City.
Pros of moving to Jersey City
It is very easy to get lost in all the good things Jersey City offers so we will focus on what we think is the best pro’s:
- The population of Jersey City is very diverse! Now, we are not talking just about culture or ethnicities. There are a lot of young hard working professionals, families with kids etc. It is quite opposite to all other major cities that either has one or the other. So, in other words, be ready to meet a lot of new culture and interesting people.
- Jersey city’s Transit system if very good. Every part of the city is well connected either by bus or a train. If you are by any chance stranded on one, don’t despair, the other is sure to follow close by.
- Jersey City is famous for its low gas prices. Whether it be city’s law or just their choice, you are surely going to find its gas prices very acceptable.
- Nightlife in Jersey City is great! Lots, and lots of clubs, restaurants and other places you can visit. No matter how long you are staying, you can literally visit a new club every weekend and still not visit them all. If good social life is one of your criteria for moving to Jersey City, then you are at a right place!
- There are also a lot of places for everyday activities. And they are all within 2 hours drive from anywhere. Theaters, movies, gyms, sports and recreation centers, library and other clubs you can join. When it comes to what can Jersey City provide to you, it’s not only about the nightlife. It’s what kind of day to day life you can have after moving to Jersey City.
- Renting can be very cheap. When it comes to renting, you should always check all the locations, not just the urban ones. Because you can be living 45 minutes away from New York City and pay quite a lower rent than someone who is living closer. Do not let the commodity of having less time to travel fool you! You can save a good amount of money just for living a bit further away.
- Drive-In theaters are quite popular in Jersey City. If you ever wanted to taste that feeling of American nostalgia and how it was in the 70s, then this is the right place! Take your partner to, by today’s standards, unusual date! You will watch a movie, bring snacks, and have privacy for yourself!
There are quite a lot of pros of moving to Jersey City, that we could easily write an article on a dozen of pages. We mentioned to you what we consider is one of the most important ‘pros” for moving to Jersey City. Unfortunately, as with any major city, there are some cons you will have to deal with if you decide to relocate there.
Cons of moving to Jersey City
Where are pros, sadly there are con’s also. Let us mention ones you will meet on regular basis:
- Cost of living and taxes are high. As with every urban and major city, this is a realistic situation. Having everything that close to you doesn’t come without a price. But, as we already mentioned before, it all depends where you live in Jersey City.
- Traffic can be horrible. If you are not taking the public transportation, mainly commuting by train, be ready for one hell of a traffic. Even in less populated areas, you will find yourself stuck sometimes. So be ready and patient when that situation occurs.
- Jersey City is not such a dog-friendly place. Yes, it is sadly true. It is mostly because you can’t live with a big dog in an already small apartment with thin walls. They do tend to make a lot of noise, so be ready to settle for a cat or an aquarium.
- There are a lot of rats! Moving to Jersey City might not be as magical as you thought it would be. It is already hard to get rid of them with their ever-growing population and lack of natural predators. Without it, Jersey City is the perfect breeding place for them, no matter what part of the city you live in.
- Movie sets are everywhere! On your way to work, you will surely be interrupted by a set or two. Be patient and wait for a moment when you can pass by, or find another way around it. It’s just one of the things you will have to get used to.
Saying all this, we hope you got a better picture of what to expect before moving to Jersey City. As with every big city, there are a lot of pros and cons, but those are just the things you can get used to. Share with us your personal experience! We can’t wait to hear from you!