Are you moving to a new city? You have chosen Monterey and now it is time to prepare for your upcoming relocation. When moving to Monterey, CA, it is not only about packing and transporting items (yes, it is a big part of moving), you should know where you are moving to and what to expect after moving too. What should you know about this city, and of course, how to organize a relocation to Monterey like a pro?
Pros and cons of moving to Monterey, CA
Why should you move to this city and what should you keep in mind and be aware of? Every place on Earth has pros and cons, so Monterey has them as well. Here are some of the advantages:
- The entertainment options are endless. There is a ton of stuff to do, alone, with friends, or your kids. Besides surfing, swimming, and enjoying the beach, you can go to one of the many sports areas, explore different restaurants, wineries, etc.
- Weather is great, especailly if you cannot stand snow and cold weather. In South California, the wrather is sunny and warm. You can move during the summer season, but, winter motnhs are more pleasant.
- The education system is good and schools are highly-rated. If you are moving to Monterey with kids, do not worry about their education. Also, student’s test scores are above average.
- The unemployment rate is 8% which is not that bad and the economy is strong. The average household income is giher than the national average for about $20,000.
And very few disadvantages of living in this California city:
- The costs of living are not the most affordable. Generally speaking, California is not the most affrodable state in the USA. Housing, groceries, transportaton, it is all more expensive.
- The city has a problem with homeless people unfortunately. This is the case here, because the costs of living are high.
Prepare for moving to Monterey
How to organize a relocation stress-free and like a pro? How and where to start with preparations? Moving can be challenging, emotional, hard, exciting, all at the same time. If you are moving across the country, you should pay more attention to packing. Because your items will be carried a lot and it may take a couple of days until your items arrive in Monterey.
Packing your items
First, start with packing items you want to move. Items you don’t want to move, you can toss, donate, or sell. The rest, you should pack. You will need enough moving boxes and other supplies. Get them and start packing. First pack items you don’t use often (items from the basement, for example). If you need help, ask friends to help you out or, hire professional packers from Mod Movers CA. Professional packers have their own moving supplies and equipment, so you don’t have to deal with gathering all those items.
Hire a local moving company
A local moving company already has experience in this area and that is why it is recommended to hire local professionals. Find help in the neighborhood and choose a reliable and reputable moving company to help you out with this process. Monterey has a lot of companies you can choose from, explore them and contact a couple of them. Compare their services and prices and hire the best one for your relocation.
If your new home is too small for all your items, or it is not ready for moving in – where will you store all your belongings? Renting a storage unit in Monterey is one of the safest options for all your items. Choose the right size and rent it. If you have items that are sensitive to high temperatures, you can rent a temperature-controlled storage unit. Keep in mind that summers here are very hot.
Facts about Monterey to know before moving there
What should you know before moving to another city? Besides packing and moving, you need to explore a place where you will live. This way, you will know what to expect and you will adjust faster. Living in California offers a lot of opportunities and the lifestyle here is different than it is in other US states. The county of Monterey has almost half of a million people. It is a big place and you need to research it.
One of the first steps to take when moving is to find a new home where you will live. If you are going to buy a house, the median home price is around $550,000 but it mostly depends on location. If renting is a better option for you, the median rent per month is $2,000. Compared to LA and San Francisco, this place is more affordable. Also, it has less traffic, less air pollution, and less noise, which is better for raising kids for example.
Nature in Monterey will take your breath away. It is not only the beach that attracts so many people to be here. So many tourists are coming here on a vacation because of the nightlife and amazing views. visit Monterey Historic State Park, Monterey State Beach, Dunes State Park, Yosemite National Park, etc. After moving here, find your new favorite spot in the city and you will feel like a local.
After moving to Monterey, finish your paperwork and documents. Register your car, change your address, ID, and what is more important – healthcare. It has a community hospital and several clinics and also, big cities are near that has big hospitals.