Migrations are part of the life process, but you as an adult can understand that. Kids will have difficulties accepting it, especially teens. Moving from California to Texas with teenagers can be so exhausting. Not only do you need to prepare all your stuff and documents for relocation, but also, you need to talk to angry kids who refuse to move.
How to handle moving from California to Texas with teenagers?
This relocation has many benefits, so first, try to explain why are you moving and what are the pros of moving to Texas.
- Income taxes are lower in Texas
- Costs of living are lower too. Your kids are old enough to understand the value of money
- If you are moving to TX because of a job, explain to them that the economy is growing there
- Houses are cheaper, so they will be excited to have more space, for sure
Talk to your teens and give them a notice
When you decide to move, immediately tell them too. This way, your kids will have more time to process the information and to prepare. Also, they will be mad at you because of keeping a secret. It is normal to have a fear of long-distance moving, but time heals all wounds. Talk to them openly and encourage questions and discussions.
Involve them in the moving process
After notifying them, involve your teens in the moving process, such as packing, choosing a moving date, and organizing. Listen to them and their ideas, it will help. They are your kids, but on the other hand, they’re old enough to be involved. Soon they will pack for college; this can be good a preparation.
Look for new homes in Texas together
Renting/buying a new home in Texas is a big step and one of the major ones. Research houses together, create floor plans, decorate the house. Let your kids explore a new neighborhood. After all, they probably know how to use the internet, better than you or your spouse do. They can search Texas real estate online and explore what it has to offer in your price range.
Throwing a party
Teenagers are mostly sad and angry because they are leaving their friends. So, let them throw a goodbye party, invite all their friends to come, and help them organize it.
Let them make a list of Texas attractions to visit after moving
How to make your teens excited about moving to Texas? Tell them to make a list of all the attractions they want to visit in the area you are moving to. Keep your promise after moving there and have fun together. Texas has many things and activities to offer.
Best places in Texas to move with teenagers
Where to move when it comes to moving with the entire family (plus you have teens). Seem like the worst-case scenario, but it’s not. Texas has plenty of places perfect for families. That means they are safe, have good schools, affordable homes, and family-friendly places.
- Rollingwood, Austin – There are many benefits of moving to Austin, and Rollingwood has a lot to offer. Affordable housing, low crime rate, amazing schools, and good nightlife.
- Greatwood, Houston – a beautiful suburb that meets all the criteria for families. Schools are highly rated and the crime rate is low.
- Canyon Creek South, Richardson – a small neighborhood with friendly people where everyone knows each other. When moving from California to Texas with teenagers, you need a good environment and nice people around you.
- The Woodlands – If you want to live in a city, The Woodlands is the perfect place with many restaurants and parks.
- New Braunfels – a town in Comal County you should consider as your future home. Ask for help if you need advice on relocating to New Braunfels and explore this town.
One of the major concerns for you before moving will be your teens’ education and school. Don’t worry, because Texas has amazing schooling system. First, arrange a transfer from the old school to a new school and transfer all the school records. These were just some of the places where your family can move to Texas. As soon as you find out where are you moving, start researching all the schools in the city.
Hiring a company for moving from California to Texas
To spend more time with your kids and to have enough time to do all the paperwork involved with relocation, you should hire a moving company. Especially when it is a long-distance move as this one is. Moving from California to Texas with teenagers will take a lot of time.
Research companies such as evolutionmoving.com, and get recommendations. To involve your kids in the process, ask them to search online, they are probably better with social media than you are.
Teenagers may be depressed after the move
Moving with children is not stressful only for you. Your kids may have strong feelings about relocation to Texas. Learn to recognize if they are getting depressed or anxious. Some of the symptoms are
- Crying for no reason
- Academic declines
- Loss of interests
- Feeling guilty
- Too much sleeping or too little sleeping
- Changes in appetite
- Withdrawal from friends
Try to stay calm when moving from California to Texas with teenagers and be on their side. Help them make new friends and adjust easier. They need to be excited for something, so let them decorate the house, explore Texas, invite their best friends from CA to come over, etc. This is very helpful when relocating far away from their friends.